Sunday, February 15, 2009

duped by my own expectations

One of my favorite things to do one weekend afternoon on occasion is head to the Eastern Market. For those of who who don't know it's a DC landmark offering vendors of all kinds - artists, a farmers' market, flea market, etc. Inside they also have a deli, butcher, pastry & cheese shop, etc.

I needed a soap dish for next to my kitchen sink. Not for soap, but for my scrub sponge. (You know, the one you use to scrub the counters. Because the dish sponge has to be a different one altogether. You know, right? Thank you, my OCD Anonymous supporters.)

I found a vendor with all kinds of colorful glass work - serving dishes, salsa dippers, probably some ash trays, and aha! soapdishes. I chose the chili peppers.

Cute, right? As I was paying her and she was wrapping my purchase I pictured this woman arriving early every weekend morning to set up her stand, her husband staying home and working sun up to sun down on his glass wares in their garage converted into his workshop.

Then I got home, satisfied post-purchase, and unwrapped my wares. I proceeded to the kitchen to wash my new glass sponge-holder (of course I was going to wash it before putting my sponge to rest on it!) It was sitting out all day - who knew for how many days!

Here's what I found on the back:

It's probably so loaded with lead I'll be dead in a year.

1 comment:

alaskanincanada said...

As a fellow "try to shop local/different sponge to clean the counter/wash EVERYTHING before using it for ANYTHING person" I feel your pain.