Sunday, January 4, 2009

rednecks recycle, too!

Rednecks care about the planet, y'all! Saw the funniest scene in a while yesterday in the Giant grocery store parking lot. I was visiting my dad for the long weekend. You have to understand where my parents have lived for the past 18 years. It is so backwards, so southern, so completely redneck, it's right out of a Jeff Foxworthy skit. Lots of gun racks, bass fishing boats, and confederate flags.

I had just pulled into a parking spot and what appeared before my eyes was the typical citizen: male, probably mid-40s, but looks more late-50s, scruffy grey beard, camouflage polyester baseball hat unable to tame the wild salt-and-pepper mane underneath, beer belly protruding from a quilted flannel shirt left unbuttoned over a dirty, stained t-shirt, and sweatpants with hunting boots. Got the complete picture? But dangling from his hand was a richly-colored purple reusable Giant grocery bag. It just didn't fit.

No comments: